BBVA is a global financial organization with more than 135,000 employees serving 67 million customers across 35 countries. BBVA’s New Digital Businesses unit is helping to reinvent banking by building cutting edge FinTech companies that compete with banking industry incumbents and by providing the FinTech banking and payments platform of the future: Open Platform.
Open Platform’s powerful and easy to use Banking as a Service APIs empower the world’s startups and technology companies to create the most innovative solutions for their customers. Using Open Platform APIs, companies can create innovative banking and payment services for their customers, reduce costs, and tame the complexity of the financial services ecosystem while avoiding the compliance headaches that make it difficult for companies to scale.
If you want to to reinvent banking through APIs and revolutionize the way the world thinks about banks, we want to meet you! We are looking for risk takers, overachievers, and revolutionaries to join our Open Platform Core Banking Products team. The kind of people who are excited by the idea of owning a product; the kind of people who like to build new platforms, features and services. The Senior Product Owner (Core Banking Products) will be a part of the BBVA Open Platform global team, working closely with other Product Owners based in the US, Spain, and other countries. Learn more below.
Your Experience and Qualifications
- At least 7 to 10 years experience as a Product Manager, including at least 2 to 3 years experience creating API-based products and bringing them to market.
- Proven ability to collaborate with designers, other product owners, technical program managers, engineering teams, business teams, and partner teams. Be comfortable with ambiguity and have a desire to create, iterate, and improve.
- Strong leadership skills and a deep understanding of what it takes to deliver API-based banking-as-a-service products to clients as small as a FinTech startup and as large as a corporate enterprise.
- Ability to both communicate highly technical concepts to a business audience and to establish and maintain technical credibility with a developer audience.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills and proven ability to influence others. Clear success at cultivating effective interpersonal relationships and communicating effectively with executive management.
- Detail-oriented and organized to ensure accuracy and quality of output. Self-starter comfortable working in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial, start-up environment (even though we live inside a global bank).
- Has a sense of urgency and a strong bias for action, yet has the ability to proactively recognize and resolve issues.
- Financial services and/or payments industry experience is a major plus.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent experience in a technical discipline, such as Technology, Computer Science, Software Engineering, or Business.
Your Role and Responsibilities
- Own and drive the product roadmap and features from conception through launch for Open Platform’s API-based Core Banking Products, such as identity verification, customer creation, account opening, and card issuance. Understand changing market dynamics, industry trends, competitive threats, evolving regulatory requirements, changes in technology, and monetization needs to create amazing Banking-as-a-Service APIs that our clients can use to build innovative solutions for consumers and businesses.
- Develop business cases, product definitions and designs, API specifications and technical requirements for world class banking-as-a-service APIs. Work hand-in-hand with development teams to prioritize development work and drive execution of your product vision.
- Serve as the internal and external champion for your API products and spearhead the BBVA business dialogue with both internal and external partners, clients, the developer community, and influencers. Be your APIs’ biggest advocate.
- Gather post-launch client feedback and quickly capture learnings to adapt the product. Work directly with API consumers to understand their needs, product gaps, feature opportunities, and help ensure that client who use our APIs have the highest quality experience.
- Work closely with key internal stakeholders (Sales and Marketing, Compliance and Control, Payment Risk, Client Integration, and other Open Platform Product Owners) to ensure that your product strategy, goals, features, and go-to-market plans are aligned.